I’ve just added another new page (can be found at the top of this blog) called:
It outlines all of the basics for beginning this LCHF journey, including advice on how to start, problems that may arise and how to deal with them, foods to eat, and foods to avoid.
I’ve just added a new page (can be found at the top of this blog) called:
LCHF Websites and Youtube Channels
It is chuck full of great websites and Youtube channels dedicated to the LCHF WOE. You can find advice, scientific information, success stories, recipes, and general advice on nutrition here. Enjoy!
(Note: just a quick comment… WPs new format SUCKS!)
Okay, now that I got that out of my system, time to move on to what’s really important. I realized today that it has been 5 weeks since I last updated this blog about my weight loss and health on the LCHF WOE. It’s amazing how quickly the weeks pass by. During some of that time, I was experiencing computer problems and had to have my laptop put in the shop, but that is enough of the excuses. Truth is, I simply had little to report. So time for a little catch up:
- I’ve lost 19.5 lbs and 3 inches off of my waist.
- I’ve had to eliminate the following from my diet because they increase insulin and cause higher BGLs: all dairy (except butter and HWC) and stevia (the last of anything sweet I will ever have, sadly).
- I am still keeping carbs under 20 grams most days, but occasionally they do go up to around 25 grams without adverse issues. The overage is usually due to eating an extra 1/2 an avocado a day though and not because I’ve added anything starchy or sugary to my diet.
- I have cut my protein intake way back. I was averaging around 70-80 grams of protein per day and now I try to keep protein at or slightly under 50 grams a day. I’ve come to realize that protein also causes insulin to rise as well as my BGLs. That whole protein breaking down into glucose thing.
- I have increased my fat intake from around 95-100 grams per day to around 120-130 grams per day.
- My macros look more like 80% fat, 15% protein, 5% carbs now.
- I am still tracking my foods on FatSecret.com every day.
- I still follow an Intermittent Fasting schedule on most days (usually a 16:8 or 24 hr) with periods of Full Fat Fasting (FFF) days (where I consume only BPC and water for several days), and I have attempted 2 longer term fasts, both ending only after 36 hrs of non-eating. I hope to change that soon as I do want to eventually do a 7-10 day extended fast.
- I am still struggling with high BGLs; however, I am still off of the insulin and do not plan on going back on it. I cannot understand why doctors give T2D insulin when their bodies are riddled with insulin and THAT is the issue. They should instead be teaching diabetics how to resolve insulin resistance instead. But, that is for another day’s rant. I am hoping that the current removal of stevia will help correct this issue.
- I was having issues with constipation, but since adding the 2-3 days of FFF to my schedule, those days are in the past.
- Energy levels are still great (unless my BGLs are extremely high). Skin, hair, nails, etc. are still doing well. Night vision is amazing and day vision is okay so long as BGLs aren’t too high. Sleep is going well and I am usually getting between 7-9 hrs of sleep per day.
- I’ve added weight training, Qi Gong stretches, and short walks to my exercise routine. So far, so good.
Well, that about wraps things up. This has been a constant learning experience for me and I know there is still so much more for me to learn. Every day is a new challenge and I am just rolling with it. I have no plans of ceasing, although there are days that I do get a bit discouraged. Mostly because of my BGLs though.
I’m a bit late in posting this, but there aren’t too many things to report this week.
- I’ve lost 14 lbs and 2 inches off of my waist so far.
- I’m struggling with finding a good balance of carbs and proteins because my BGLs are all over the place. A good example of this is three days ago, I ate a hamburger patty and my BGL spiked 20 points, but yesterday, I ate some cabbage and meatballs with rice and tomato sauce and my BGL only spiked 10 points and then came back down easily. I’ve been doing extreme low carb, like under 5 grams each day for about 5 days with BGL spikes and yesterday I had 27 grams with not much of a spike. I don’t know what the hell is going on.
- I’ve quit caffeine (coffee and tea) because I noticed it was spiking my BGLs and preventing me from sleeping very well. Sleep has improved as a result, but man do I miss coffee!
- I will be attempting another long fast because it did help lower my BGLs and I had a significant weight loss because of the last one. Will be buying some bone broth from Amazon (only place I can find it) and will be using it this time. Will probably begin the fast around Wed of next week and aiming for 5 days this time.
- All other things are consistent: very few aches (just upper back), hair and nails are doing well, skin still soft, blood pressure still doing well, neuropathy in feet still improving, eyesight doing well, especially night vision, mood is good and my mind is clear.
- Constipation has been a mild issue this past week. Went 4 days without a BM, then the next evening, whoosh! Will be buying some Milk of Magnesium in case this happens again. I just feel so horribly bloated if I do not have a BM every day or every other day.
- Per Dr. Fung’s advice, I will be adding some fiber to my diet. Going to use psyllium husks and see how that works for me.
- I am still off of insulin. My BGLs are ranging from 135-219 at the highest. Averaging 155-165 for fasting morning numbers. I am trying to let this play out without resorting to the insulin. Hoping as I continue to lose weight, the BGLs will come down.
Well, that’s all for this week. Onward to week 8!
Not as many observations this week, so I will get right to them
- I tried intermittent fasting and can easily do a 24 hr fast. Then I tried to do a longer fast and only managed 48 hrs. I think my body needs time to adjust to a longer fast and I wasn’t well-prepared for one either. Next time I plan to use bone broth during the fast. The benefits from the 48 hr fast were energy for up to 36 hrs in which I didn’t sleep much, my BGLs came down remarkably well and have so far remained steady. They are not as low as when I was taking insulin, but they aren’t bouncing all over the place either.
- I stopped taking insulin. Good bye to 150 units of insulin a day which really did little to balance out my BGLs. Instead creating spikes, dips and dives. I just take the Janumet twice a day now.
- I’ve discovered that the less protein I eat and the more fat, the calmer my feet are at night and I don’t get the racing heart effect at night. I was eating around 70+ grams of protein a day and I decreased it to around 60-65 grams. I’ve upped my fat from around 80-90 to around 100 grams. Some days I eat less than 1000 calories, other days as high as around 1600. I have no idea yet how this is affecting weight loss since I haven’t weighed in for two days. I do know the higher fat content has helped my feet though and that is a bonus for me even if I don’t lose weight very fast.
- Still maintaining the elevated mood, better skin, nails and hair, very little acid reflux (just the small amount last night with the HWC, may have to give it up along with the rest of the dairy that I just cannot seem to consume), night vision is awesome again, and have an overall feeling of well-being.
- Weight has come down from 5 lbs lost to now 11.5 lbs lost, as of 2 days ago.
Not much else to report. Still doing well and feeling a lot better. LCHF for life!
Well, I made it through 48 hours of fasting. I followed Dr. Fung’s advice that if my body was responding badly and needed food, to break the fast and eat. So I have. My symptoms:
- Severe headache and brain fog
- Severe stomach grumbling, nausea
- An overall sense of unwellness
I did the usual things first… upped my water intake.. didn’t help. Drank another sea salt water, waited.. didn’t help. Hence, some food.
I chose to go light… some canned tuna with 1/2 avocado and some mayo. I am beginning to feel better.
No idea what effect this will have on my BGL. It was 155 when I took it before eating. Waiting 2 hrs, so around 6 pm, and will check it again.