I’m a bit late in posting this, but there aren’t too many things to report this week.
- I’ve lost 14 lbs and 2 inches off of my waist so far.
- I’m struggling with finding a good balance of carbs and proteins because my BGLs are all over the place. A good example of this is three days ago, I ate a hamburger patty and my BGL spiked 20 points, but yesterday, I ate some cabbage and meatballs with rice and tomato sauce and my BGL only spiked 10 points and then came back down easily. I’ve been doing extreme low carb, like under 5 grams each day for about 5 days with BGL spikes and yesterday I had 27 grams with not much of a spike. I don’t know what the hell is going on.
- I’ve quit caffeine (coffee and tea) because I noticed it was spiking my BGLs and preventing me from sleeping very well. Sleep has improved as a result, but man do I miss coffee!
- I will be attempting another long fast because it did help lower my BGLs and I had a significant weight loss because of the last one. Will be buying some bone broth from Amazon (only place I can find it) and will be using it this time. Will probably begin the fast around Wed of next week and aiming for 5 days this time.
- All other things are consistent: very few aches (just upper back), hair and nails are doing well, skin still soft, blood pressure still doing well, neuropathy in feet still improving, eyesight doing well, especially night vision, mood is good and my mind is clear.
- Constipation has been a mild issue this past week. Went 4 days without a BM, then the next evening, whoosh! Will be buying some Milk of Magnesium in case this happens again. I just feel so horribly bloated if I do not have a BM every day or every other day.
- Per Dr. Fung’s advice, I will be adding some fiber to my diet. Going to use psyllium husks and see how that works for me.
- I am still off of insulin. My BGLs are ranging from 135-219 at the highest. Averaging 155-165 for fasting morning numbers. I am trying to let this play out without resorting to the insulin. Hoping as I continue to lose weight, the BGLs will come down.
Well, that’s all for this week. Onward to week 8!
There’s not much to report this week, just a few things that have been different than the weeks before.
- I began having constipation issues about 6 days ago. I thought maybe it was the BPC because it was the only change I had made. I stopped drinking it for two days, but that still didn’t help. I drank it the next morning and BAM! Bowel movement. Still don’t know what caused it, but I am regular again.
- I am experiencing the aches in my hips again. I haven’t changed my diet that much, so I have no explanation for it.
- The neuropathy has worsened also. No explanation for it either.
- My BGL has been up and down like crazy. I was having some extreme lows, so I dropped the amount of Levimer and Novolog on my own. Keeping an eye on my BGLs to make sure they don’t go high again. Mornings seem to be the highest. Was told that maybe I am making cortisol in the night. Not the best thing for wanting to lose fat.
- Still eating 2 meals a day and doing the BPC early mornings. Still averaging around 1700 calories because of the high fat in the BPC (around 650 calories just for it). Not sure if that is slowing the weight loss, but I’ve only lost 5 lbs in a month.
- I am sleeping longer hours, but I am also taking the amitriptyline for the neuropathy and that makes me sleep. Getting around 8-12 hrs of sleep the past 4 days.
- I’ve had a few occasions of indigestion and even one acid reflux attack. Still better than what I was dealing with before beginning this WOE.
- My mood has remained high. No depression or even feeling low.
I do plan to add more walks to my regiment of weight lifting and tai chi. Cutting back on the number of eggs I eat a day from 3 to 2 in order to get my overall caloric intake down. I’d like to get to under 1500, but not sure that is feasible unless I just have the BPC and one meal per day. Fat is still the highest on my macros and I am managing to keep carb intake to under 20 still.
My biggest challenge this past week has been avoiding the donuts and cookies that my dad insists on keeping in the house in plain sight so that I see them constantly. Thankfully, my will power is holding out and I haven’t gone off plan.
I have added a sea salt and lemon drink to my morning routine. I haven’t had any dizzy spells since adding it. Still using reg table salt with iodine added to salt my foods so I don’t run low on iodine.
Overall, I think I am doing well still with this WOE. No cravings, despite the temptations.
I am on several Low Carb groups on Facebook and common questions are:
- I am constantly constipated. What can I do?
- I constantly have diarrhea. What can I do?
Let’s tackle constipation first. If you haven’t had a bowel movement in at least 2 days, you are probably feeling pretty miserable. I should know, before beginning this WOE, I could go 4-5 days without a bowel movement. It was quite painful! Now, since beginning this WOE, I generally have 1-2 bowel movements per day. Here are some tips:
- consume more fats, specifically UNrefined coconut oil
- take a magnesium supplement. I’ve been told Citrate works well
- drink more water – I’ve read that a good goal is 1/2 your body weight in ounces.
- be sure to eat at least 2 cups of green veggies a day – you need the fiber!
Now for diarrhea. Once you begin this WOE, your body will need time to adjust to consuming fats and fewer carbs. So yes, you will have loose bowel movements for the first couple of weeks. However, if you continue to have loose to runny bowel movements after that, then you are simply consuming too much fat and not enough protein. Try decreasing your fat grams and upping your protein a bit. Nothing too drastic, just a few grams. If this still doesn’t help, increase it a bit more. Your body should adjust in a few days. If you still have chronic diarrhea, you may want to lower your water intake and cut back on your vegetables some. Over consumption of fats is usually the culprit though. If that STILL doesn’t work, time to see your doctor. There may be something else wrong besides your diet.
With constant diarrhea, please remember to drink lots of electrolytes! Pickle juice, sauerkraut juice, chicken or beef bullion, lemon water with sea salt, just to name a few.