Wow, it is hard to believe that I’ve been on LCHF for three weeks now. It has been a lot easier than I thought.
I did make one critical mistake this past week. I was at a friend’s house who is also on a Low Carb diet (she is not on a LCHF diet though and is not diabetic) and she was fixing lunch. She used a low carb wheat wrap, added some beef strips, avocado, and pepper jack cheese. The whole “sandwich” was under 5 grams of carbs. I should have been okay with my under 20 carb limit. Right? Technically, yes. However, I have come to understand one vital thing about myself: I am INSULIN RESISTANT. Yes, I am diabetic, but it is not just that… I am insulin resistant AND cannot handle grains, sugar, and starches AT ALL. Not just in limited amounts that keep me under my macros… but as in, never ever able to consume them again.
Here is what happened as a result of that 4 grams wheat wrap:
- prior to that wrap (since beginning this WOE), my BGL was 70-95 at morning fasting and didn’t go any higher than 135, two hours after a meal. After that wrap, my morning fasting has been running from 115-135, and has gone as high as 170 two hours after meal. My BGL will simply NOT go any lower. I am still eating the same as I did the first two weeks, not making hardly any changes. I have cut back on my carb intake some, but that is it. Protein and Fats have remained consistent.
- I’ve had allergy issues: runny nose, sinus headache, and sneezing
- I’ve had a few pain issues in my hips again. Nothing serious and definitely not as painful as before beginning this WOE, but it is still there.
- I am not having as frequent bowel movements as before
It has been 5 days since I ate that wrap. I have no idea how long it will take my body to eliminate the effects. I never would have thought grains, and specifically wheat, had that effect on my health. Now that I am aware, I am avoiding it at all cost. I hope these conditions will reverse themselves soon.
Further health observations:
- I finally broke down and weighed myself on the 14th. I am down 3.5 lbs. *w00t* I don’t plan on getting weighed again until Oct. 1st when I visit my doctor.
- I’ve noticed some hair loss, but have been told this is common on the LCHF WOE. So I have added a Vitamin B supplement, especially Biotin, which I am told will help this issue.
- My blood pressure is staying down really well. This morning it was 117/70 without taking the lisonpril. My pulse rate is still a bit high though. Was 95 this morning. Not sure how to bring that down.
- I am sleeping a bit longer now. Averaging about 6 hours straight instead of broken into two 3-hour intervals.
- I’ve been averaging about 2 meals per day. I usually have a cup of BPC very early in the morning, around 4 am, and then have a decent sized breakfast around 8 or 9 am. I don’t eat again until around 5 or 6 pm. I have not had the urge or the hunger to snack.
- I can definitely tell now that my “wheat belly” has gone down some. It felt very hard before I began this WOE, and now it feels soft and not bloated at all.
- I was having some dizzy and light-headed spells. Learned that it was probably a lack of electrolytes. So I’ve been drinking pickle juice and sauerkraut juice. It works immediately!
- I am still enjoying smoother skin, shinier hair, and my nails are growing like crazy!
- My mind is focused, clear, and sharp.
- My eyesight continues to stay sharp, especially at night.
So those are my health observations this week. I still have a lot to work on, especially trying to add some exercise into my daily routine. I hope to feel well enough to begin walking again, as the neuropathy doesn’t seem to be as debilitating as it was before.