I am on several Low Carb groups on Facebook and common questions are:
- I am constantly constipated. What can I do?
- I constantly have diarrhea. What can I do?
Let’s tackle constipation first. If you haven’t had a bowel movement in at least 2 days, you are probably feeling pretty miserable. I should know, before beginning this WOE, I could go 4-5 days without a bowel movement. It was quite painful! Now, since beginning this WOE, I generally have 1-2 bowel movements per day. Here are some tips:
- consume more fats, specifically UNrefined coconut oil
- take a magnesium supplement. I’ve been told Citrate works well
- drink more water – I’ve read that a good goal is 1/2 your body weight in ounces.
- be sure to eat at least 2 cups of green veggies a day – you need the fiber!
Now for diarrhea. Once you begin this WOE, your body will need time to adjust to consuming fats and fewer carbs. So yes, you will have loose bowel movements for the first couple of weeks. However, if you continue to have loose to runny bowel movements after that, then you are simply consuming too much fat and not enough protein. Try decreasing your fat grams and upping your protein a bit. Nothing too drastic, just a few grams. If this still doesn’t help, increase it a bit more. Your body should adjust in a few days. If you still have chronic diarrhea, you may want to lower your water intake and cut back on your vegetables some. Over consumption of fats is usually the culprit though. If that STILL doesn’t work, time to see your doctor. There may be something else wrong besides your diet.
With constant diarrhea, please remember to drink lots of electrolytes! Pickle juice, sauerkraut juice, chicken or beef bullion, lemon water with sea salt, just to name a few.